Go and do likewise…
As promised recently, I’m providing information about another charitable organizations that you can help with your time, treasure, or talent. This week we highlight one of the most amazing charities in the world, Samaritan’s Purse.
This organization gets its name from the Parable of the Good Samaritan. From their website, “The story of the Good Samaritan (Luke 10:30-37) gives a clear picture of God’s desire for us to help those in desperate need wherever we find them. After describing how the Samaritan rescued a hurting man whom others had passed by, Jesus told His hearers, “Go and do likewise.”
Samaritan’s Purse does indeed help “those in desperate need wherever we find them”. Here’s a sample of current projects:
Cleaning up homes damaged by flooding in Buchanan County, VA on July 12
Providing clean water in an area of Ukraine where supply lines were damaged by Russian attacks
Rebuilding a church and parsonage in a remote coastal village in southwest Alaska
There are regular ongoing projects like Operation Heal Our Patriots to help wounded veterans and their spouses, and the ever-popular Operation Christmas Child to “demonstrate God’s love in a tangible way to children in need around the world” with gifts to clothe, clean, amuse and evangelize them.
Now led by evangelist Franklin Graham, Samaritan’s Purse has followed the example of Christ by helping those in need and proclaiming the hope of the Gospel for 52 years.
Samaritan’s Purse is a leader in financial accountability for non-profit organizations, and over 84% of the funds provided by donations are used to help the needy (the other 16% goes to fundraising efforts and administration). If there is one organization that you should support through donations or volunteering, I’d suggest Samaritan’s Purse.