Discover more from Heaven On Wheels
Fruits of the Spirit: Kindness
Saturday, April 2, 2022
Today we look at the fifth of the Fruits of the Spirit Paul described in his epistle to the Galatians: Kindness.
As I’m getting older, I’m discovering that being a kind person makes me feel happy. Kindness is a human trait that is sometimes difficult to have, as it’s much easier to be grumpy, mean and insulting to other people… 😜
God doesn’t want us to be that way (thank God!). He’d rather have us be polite, happy, and nice to our fellow human beings, even when they may not reciprocate. It’s one of the Fruits of the Spirit that is actually quite easy to harvest.
Here are 25 ways that you can be kinder (thanks to Silvia Mordini on DoYou.com). It’s a pretty good list of simple suggestions that bring kindness to the forefront:
1. Smile and make someone’s day a little sweeter.
2. Look for ways you can promote peace.
3. Just listen.
4. Offer a hug or embrace.
5. Invite someone new into your friend tribe.
6. Send out a kind email or card.
7. Give someone a genuine compliment.
8. Help clean up, without being asked, help someone out in a practical way.
9. Hold open the door for the person behind you.
10. Encourage a friend or family member when they are uncertain or unmotivated.
11. Make peace with someone that has hurt you.
12. Strike up a conversation with a stranger.
13. Let someone into your lane while driving.
14. Pay for the person behind you in line.
15. Give your time to a friend or someone who needs it.
16. Say Thank You and Please everyday without fail.
17. Meditate on loving kindness: “May you be happy, healthy, peaceful, and free from suffering, and may my actions in some way contribute to the happiness, health, peace, and freedom for all.
18. Say “I love you” a little more often to your family and friends.
19. Pause before you speak, and choose words with positive intention.
20. Help someone get some rest (watch their kids, run an errand, bring them dinner, etc).
21. Pick up litter you see thrown about even if its not yours.
22. Remove complaints and curses for one week.
23. Gift something meaningful to someone: loan a book, bring flowers, drop off cookies, whatever suits your fancy.
24. Make a donation.
25. Give up your seat for someone else who needs it more.
Not too difficult, is it? How many of these suggestions can you use every day?
“But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!”
Image by Stefano Valtorta via Unsplash